Once I had figured out how to use and adapt the files for the SLA printer. I was able to trial run the printer. Using a blank cartridge, I was able to trick the and manually fill the tank with the Porcelite mixture.
The first trial has gone great although it did stop half way overnight due to an error notification, leaving a seam line. Although I’m really excited to fire and see the final result.
The outcomes are to be fired to 1150 and said to shrink between 14 – 17.5% although I will have to measure and document my findings.
For my artist book, it was important to me that I had professional images of my work that showed off the pieces but also in a scene that shows them in use and therefore giving context and relatability.
I chose to photography my work on an old pallet transformed into a dark wood backdrop as it added a rough textured surface in contrast to the high shine and reflection of the ceramic. I also chose a woven linen fabric for the same reason.
When photographing tableware for promotional images, I had to draw a balance between capturing the work as functional yet not covering them completely. As well as the choice of food was critical. I wanted to keep an air of freshness, keeping things clean and stylised with pops of colour against the work.
These images will be printed on a selection of A5 postcards for professional practice press packs as well as a portfolio of work for future reference and opportunities.
After an Aluminium pour, I agreed with the feedback that the metal was far too light. Although I researched silver nitrate patina and bronze, it was against health and safety. we resolved this with agreeing on Zinc, a silver metal that is similar to pewter and aluminium with a lower melting point but heavier than the existing base.
After gentle chiselling the ceramic shell off, I noticed the small hairline cracks that Dallis seems to believe are shrinkage stress cracks in the model due to its shape. I am really worried that when finishing the piece it will break.
In order to photography my work on a wooden backdrop and table setting, I was able to require an old pallet. This was then taken apart and reassembled closer together as a single panel. Once smoothed and sanded roughly, I used a homemade stain to colour and darken the wood to a dark brown/ black.
The stain was made from white vinegar and steel wool soaked for 3 days. The wood is them prepped with strong teabag solution before applying the vinegar mixture. This then left to dry blackens the surface. This was then applied again one dry to gain a deep rich colour before sanding, the sanding after reveals the grain. This will then be used to photograph my final outcomes on.
This was then applied again one dry to gain a deep rich colour before sanding, the sanding after reveals the grain. This will then be used to photograph my final outcomes on as I wanted to capture texture against the high gloss interior of bowls. Although I will have to see if the wood distracts from the ceramic texture.